We get asked all the time if we recommend tankless water heaters in our market. And although our customers all have stories about who told them that they don’t work in our market because our water is too cold; we’re here to tell you that they do work, wonderfully.
We’ve been installing them for years, and I personally have a Navien tankless water heater in my house. A house with 3 teenage girls where the showers are always running, the laundry is always going and somewhere there’s a bath staying hot.
Here are our favorite things about them:
- Tankless water heaters NEVER run out of water. This is my favorite benefit; you can literally run the shower for hours (if that’s what you want to do!) and fill up that huge soaker tub that you have in your master bathroom.
- One word. Efficiency! At 98% AFUE Navien Tankless units have a much lower operating cost. A tankless water heater can reduce your energy cost by about 20-50% based on a number of
factors like: how much hot water you use per day, the layout of your house, and so on.
- Tankless water heaters ONLY make hot water when you WANT hot water! A tank-type water heater wastes a lot of energy, cycling on and off 24 hours a day to keep hot water in the tank whether you are needing it or not. And at 55% efficient that is a huge waste.
- Tankless Water Heaters Save Space. To give you a rough idea: a tankless is about the size of a piece of carry-on luggage. A large tank water heater can take up to 16 square feet. Tankless
water heaters are mounted right on the wall, and you save valuable space.
- Peace of Mind – Won’t Burst! A standard 50-gallon tank water heater approximately holds 450 lbs. of water. We hear numerous stories from customers whose water heaters crack and cause water damage to their homes. A tankless will not burst, giving you peace of mind from an unnecessary insurance claim!
- Warranty. Tankless water heaters have a much better warranty than a traditional water heater. Navien, the brand we recommend and install includes a 15-year warranty on their
double heat exchanger and a five-year warranty on parts.
- Dual Heat Exchanger. Navien has a dual heat exchanger system, so that very cold water can be preheated by the secondary heat exchanger. This is what makes the Alaskan application
Tankless water heaters are NOT all the same. There are many varieties out there that we do not recommend for our Alaska homeowners, and tankless units require professional installation and
maintenance to operate properly. Call us with any questions you have and we’ll be happy to work with you!